Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Penne in Tomato and Cheese

I had a craving for Sbarro Baked Ziti, but since it's impossible to find that here, I wanted to make anything Penne. I have a Penne Pasta, my friends left me with fresh tomatoes from the last party and I have a bag of Mozarella Cheese, what to do? So after searching the net I found this recipe which originally requires baking but because I don't have an oven, I used the oven toaster instead.

My camera phone ran out of battery so I wasn't able to take a picture of it, also I thought it would come out just okay and not worth blogging about. But I was wrong, it turned out delicious and if I just added more mozarella cheese and salt, it would have came very, very close to baked ziti. I now love toasted mozarella cheese. Even reminded me of Pizza Hut... yum, yum.

Again here's something vegetarian for a change, and fitting for the lenten season. It's so, so easy pa I swear!

Ingredients:
single serving of Penne Pasta (basta ndi marami, yung tama lang for 1 person)
1 fresh tomato, sliced in to cubes or 1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon of dried Oregano
garlic and onion
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
salt and pepper
lots of mozarella cheese (at least 1/2 cup)

How to:
  1. If you're using fresh tomato, the first step is making the tomato sauce. In a heated casserole, put in the sliced tomato, mix it, flatten the tomato cubes, put 2 tablespoons of water and the sugar, when you think the tomato has been juiced out, meaning there are more juices and less tomato cubes, set it aside.
  2. Cook the Penne Pasta like any pasta.
  3. Heat vegetable oil, or any cooking oil, saute the onion and garlic.
  4. Pour in the tomato sauce, and add the oregano, adjust the taste with salt and pepper. Then simmer.
  5. Turn off the fire, add in some of the mozarella cheese.
  6. Mix it with the cooked Penne Pasta.
  7. Put it in an aluminum plate or bowl and put the rest of the mozarella cheese on top.
  8. Place inside the oven toaster and heat it for 7 minutes.
  9. If you're a cheese addict, you can sprinkle it with parmesan cheese upon serving or eating.

No comments: