Friday, January 25, 2008

The Good Daughter

I wrote a letter to my tita in the US because my mom told me to and because my tita wants to get my Japan postal address. I heard she and her husband is going to Europe (again!) for a vacation, so for conversation sake, I told her that Dan and I are also planning to have a vacation there because we still don't have a honeymoon yet. See, "planning" is different from "going" because with "planning" still entail "saving", "saving" and more "saving", plus "applying for vacation leaves", "applying for visa" which may either lead to actually "going" or "not going".

Then she replied like we are actually "going" and told me not to forget about my parents and that my mom told her about my "promise" to bring her and papa to Singapore. You see, I just told mom before that there's a promo fare to Singapore on May and Hubby's whole family is going there. So Hubby offered to pay for my parents so that we can get together in Singapore hopefully. And that was before all these expenses for papa's hospitalization and other stuff came in. Plus we have to book in advance to get the promo fare, but with my dad's ongoing recovery it's just impossible to do that.

Since hubby has given a LOT already since what I have is not enough for their needs, I will assume that Singapore trip they are hoping for. The fare is easy, but the pocketmoney is a different thing. And I have other things to save for this year, so it will not be an easy task for me.

What actually irks me was how my tita told me, "do not forget your parents" when I told her I may be going to this grand vacation. Am I supposed to feel guilty if my husband do able to save for our dream vacation, but I won't be able to bring them to a Singapore trip?

It even reminded me of how another aunt told me last year, "tulungan mo papa mo, ano ka ba, wala ka bang naipon?", when my dad was diagnosed with this disease and at that time might require operation. It was so hurtful to hear those words like you never did anything, like I am laying golden eggs here.

I do want to give my parents a long deserved vacation, but I just don't want to be pressured on it and I don't need the guilt trips. It makes me feel so sad that after all you have done, kulang pa rin.


No comments: