Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year, New Shoes

Thank God the japanese take New Year seriously, at least we can celebrate one normal holiday (coz we had to work during Christmas). We have almost a week off and free from work related stuff! That is why I was so excited to make my first Buena Noche, I didn't mind the very strong wind and the drizzle of snow(masakit pala tumama sa mukha ang snow) while I biked to the nearest grocery to get some ingredients. Added bonus to my bravery was most of the things in the store was on sale! I was able to buy 300g of ground pork for Y70, half a kilo of fresh strawberries for Y147 (that usually costs Y400-Y700) , Beef meat for Y350, 5 bell peppers for Y200 (believe me that's already on sale, I'm not sure why bell peppers are always expensive anywhere) and 4 carrots for Y100.

I made Pork Embutido and Beef Mechado for the main course. I highly recommend the Mechado recipe I got from here! It's delicous! I followed the recipe to the T and just added sugar and cheese to suit my taste. Hubby kept reheating the Mechado leftover until there was none left. About the embutido, well I love all embutidos, so I'm not the best judge for that, but I gave some to our Pinoy kapitbahays as New Year gift, and they are still alive and never called in for some complaints so I guess I did a pretty good embutido.

The best part was, I made my first ever cake! Emphasis on the word "made" coz I didn't bake it. I just bought a ready made chiffon cake, powdered whip cream which I just mixed with milk and vanilla. And Loaded it with lots and lots of strawberries inside. When I was piping the frosting, I realized I have no calling at the pastry department. I just couldn't make a decent shape so I just asked our housemate Jhen to do the honors in decorating after I painstakingly covered the cake with icing. (ang hirap pala!). I also bought a ready to use pencil icing (it's just a pastic shaped into a pencil with colored pink icing inside) which I intended to use for lettering. But the cold weather froze the icing inside that made it so hard to write with. So ended up writing "Hapi 8" instead of "Happy New Year 2008". My sweet toothed Hubby finished the cake faster than New Year to finish.

my first ever cake


After dinner, Hubby and I went to Canal City to see the New Year countdown, but because of the bad weather it was canceled. So we just walked around showered with snow, and my feet was kept warm with my new boots Hubby bought for me as a New Year gift. Yes, I finally found a pair of boots that fit my big "bagtak". Actually, I already gave up the search when yesterday after mass, while walking around Tenjin, Hubby and I passed by a shoe store that was on sale. Where I found this pair that according to the price tag originally costs Y9500 then dropped to Y5000, then to Y3000 until Y2900 when I found it! It fits so great and so comfortable to walk on. It feels sexy wearing them. =)

"look ma, boots and skinny jeans that fit!"

Happy New Year indeed.

No comments: