Friday, August 10, 2007

Little Miracles

Due to the countless demands for our field(thank God!) job interviews has become part of my profession's culture. I like job interviews, although scary, especially when it's the part where you get to meet the top guns because it's usually not technical and you are free to ask whatever about their company. But I hate virtual interviews aka via phone or web cam, I don't know why but it scares me a lot. Phone interviews make me tongue tied, that is why I think I don't have a future in call center.

Yesterday, the Japanese manager sent me a mail about my scheduled interview for today (the previous one I wrote about has been moved). And it would be via Skype (uggh!). I was hoping I'd have the interview when I get to Japan so it will be more personal. So I panicked, and asked my hubby last night to practice again with me coz my tongue needs to be twisted enough for nihongo. Then my hubby's collegue in the land of the rising sun tipped that there will be very technical questions. And so I panicked all the more... imagine a TECHNICAL interview via WEB in NIHONGO! How can all the things I hate come in one dreadful morning. What a luck huh?

I panicked (again) and became restless, I wasn't worried about how much I know, but how I'm going to express it in a language I just started to REALLY learn.

And then I realized that there is something bigger that all of those things I was so worried about. I was so ashamed to admit that it never crossed my mind before I started panicking and feeling angry to my hubby (wala lang gusto ko lang magalit sa kanya) when it has always been there all the time. So I got my pink rosary and said my prayers, for the interview, for my family and my friend's father's health as well. Coz you know when you start to say it, your problem feels so small and you tend to remember others to create one collective petition that can come close to its greatness.

So the day of the interview came, and it turned out it was going to be a panel interview by 4 japanese engineers and managers who don't understand english. My japanese manager was so nervous and my hubby too (natatae daw sya sa nerbyos). It should be enough to turn my knees into jelly and back out, but thankfully, it went good. Not very well, of course as expected my nihongo grammar went circus, but they understood me and I was able to answer their questions.. including the technical ones! (OOP, TCP/IP, DBMS, Postgres, CUnit, ...). Good thing, I wasn't asked about stuff that I don't know.

Everything went well today.

I've never written about my faith practices but I guess it is but right to share something that has become a big part of me. Praying the Rosary have been a savior to me ever since. During my father's kidney operation, a painful breakup from a long term relationship, discerning if Dan was the one, a day and another, hours before my wedding and even in simplest times like riding a taxi alone at night or even before a big date.

As we go through our ever afters aka adulthood/parenthood, we meet obstacles in different shapes and sizes but we should always remember that there is something greater that these and it's just right there with you all the time.

No comments: