Saturday, August 18, 2007

Mirisi

I got stuck on the road in the middle of a temperamental storm, wet and confused on how to reach the condo which is barely a kilometer far and I have finally ridden a pedicab to save myself from skin disease brought by the infamous flood in Buendia/Washington street. All because Georgia and I wanted to watch the new Star Cinema movie, A Love Story. It was all over the news that strong rain will loom over Metro Manila until Saturday but still we went out to catch the 10:55 last full show, but it was because the rain stopped by that time. You know naman, Pag-Asa can be hopelessly wrong with their forecasts.

But no, when we left Glorietta the predicted rain was in full force, buti na lang I brought my umbrella kaya naunahan namin sa taxi yung mga sosy na walang dalang payong at ayaw mabasa. But the driver just dropped us at Petron Station because the road along our condo is unpassable because of the flood.

Para kaming basang sisiw dun amidst the rain, strong winds, thunder, figuring out how to get home. Nakakatakot pa yung dalugdog coz I remembered this news I watched in TV Patrol a long time ago, where two friends got struck by a lightning because the tip of the umbrella they were carrying was metal. The friend carrying the umbrella died and yung isa naman tumalsik lang and lived to tell the story. Since I was the one carrying the umbrella, ako yung pwede matamaan ng kidlat... and si Georgia naman tatalsik sa hanggang bewang na baha at matetepok din sya due to elephantisis or Leptospirosis. Sus wala pa tawon mi liwat!

Buti na lang may dumaan na pedicab and our problem was solved. But my heart went out for this manong who make a living out of transporting people stranded in the flood. Nung dumating na kami sa pinakamalalim na part, bumaba na sya sa pedicab at nagtulak. Half of his frail body was submerged in the filthy water of Makati from sewage and canals. Basura everywhere, for sure may mga ipis and daga pang nag sscuba diving dun. He was so thin, so I imagined him to be the usual padre de familia I see in documentaries, who bears long hours of dirty jobs to feed 7 mouths waiting for him at home. It was one humbling experience, thank God my Dad is not one of those and at this time, comfortably sleeping on his bed.

A Love Story is one movie worth crossing that flood waters for. Yun bang kahit binagyo na kami eh we didn't feel na nalugi kami. Beautiful. Ang galing ni Maricel.

No comments: