Friday, August 3, 2007

Speaking Of Nihongo

Tonight my hubby told me that the japanese manager is coming tomorrow and I am going to have a job interview with a japanese client. As in tomorrow na agad! Shieks. We are hoping that I will pass so that I will have a work already when I get there, hindi na ako tatambay na parang donya.

This is so sudden, and I am not ready for a japanese job interview. It's so much harder than saying what you did over the weekend, or what will you do this weekend hehehe. So my hubby and I practiced. He pretended that he was the japanese interviewer, I asked him to speak in the most japanesey that he can because I am having a hard time deciphering the tth, and the ssh... in between those brain twisting words. Bungol na nga ako by nature, samot ko mabungol sa mga hapon.

During our practice, my tongue twisted like a gymnast vying for gold because it's so hard to explain your previous projects and technical terms in nihongo. Plus magdagdag pa daw ako ng mga bola-bola. Heller lisod na gani magsulti ug tinuod.. dugangan pa jud nako ug butbot. Ingon baya sa akong mama "never tell a lie!"... pero wala man sya niingon ug "never tell a lie in japanese" so oks ra siguro if I say na 1 year na ako nag C#, na yung isang project ko was in C# when it was actually in Java. Dili na siguro ko gabaan ani.

During our practice I learned a funny nihongo phrase,

Dan: "nihon no tabemono, donna suki desu ka?" (what kind of japanese food do you like?)
Me: "yakiniku ga totemo suki desu!" (I like Yakiniku very much!)
Dan: "aa, ... firipin no kuchi ni aimasu ka?"
English literal translation (aa, do you meet filipino mouth?)
Me: "unsa? bastos yan no?"

Actually what he meant was "Nihon no tabemono ha firipin no kuchi ni aimasu ka?" or in english "Do japanese foods blend well with filipino's taste?" something like that... hindi na rin ako marunong mag english.

Basta yun, you get my drift how hard this is for me. Ang hirap na nga mag explain ng project in english.. mag nnihongo pa ako. Learning is fun, but doing a serious interview like this is not.

Hay totally different from my previous impromptu interview, nung time na yun hanggang watashi ha lang nasabi ko then I just flashed my most beautiful smile. But now, may practice pa.. pag hindi ako natanggap dito ewan ko na lang. Pag puro ako wakarimasen bukas... sasayaw na lang ako.

Ganbatte to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Girl may alam ka bang work na pwede kong iimprove yung nihongo ko kahit sa Japan pa or Philippines. Gusto ko kasing trabaho eh yung something that has to do with honing my communication skills in Nihongo pero konting Nihongo lang ang alam ko. Pls reply at tomatocake73@yahoo.com Thanks in advance. Sensya na sa istorbo.