Thursday, November 8, 2007

Emergency Exit for Real

Okay, I may have lived in this country for a year if you sum it all up but there are still things here that amazes me.

This morning my workmate went outside the office to look for our building's main trashbin, he tried the main pantry and then the fire/emergency exit. A few minutes after, a security personnel came up whom he thought was just having his routine check, but then the man asked him if he opened the fire/emergency exit door. The personnel was speaking in nihongo that my workmate barely understood, so our japanese boss came out and talked for him. I was also called outside for a short orientation on how to use the fire/emergency exit.

Apparently, that door shouldn't be opened unless there's a real emergency because opening it could trigger the alarm at the security office. So that was what the poster on the door means.

Hubby said it is a standard here, but my previous company building was not that advanced since the emergency exit was used for smoking or our shortcut to the parking lot.

Well, I think the infamous "fire exit" fantasy will remain a fantasy in this country...

No comments: