Thursday, October 4, 2007

Chinese for Dinner

my Chicken Wings with Oyster Sauce

For a balanced meal, I see to it that we have vegetables for dinner because lunch baons are often the quick-to-prepare-meals like fried pork, fried chicken, breaded shrimps..etc. Tonight I had a craving for some chinese meal, some familiar dish that is usually served in our favorite chinese restaurant (saan pa ba?). So I thought of the beef in oyster sauce, but we can't afford beef here in Japan so I settled for what I have in the fridge, chicken wings and brocolli, and found this recipe from my favorite site in the internet which I adjusted to suit my taste. Unlike in Chinese restaurants, this has no added MSG so it's safe and you won't get dizzy after eating. hehe. My hubby and I loved the result of my first oriental main dish, so I am sharing this recipe for you to try. Go! it's as easy as dialing for a Chinese takeout.

Ingredients:

6 Chicken Wings
3 tbsp Soy Sauce
Spring Onions (sa bisaya pa sibuyas dahon)
Ginger (luy-a, the amount depends on how you like ginger on your food)
Brocolli florettes

for the sauce:
3 tbsp Oyster Sauce
1 tbsp Sugar
1/2 tbsp Salt
dash of pepper
1 cup of water

thickener:
dissolve 1 tbsp cornstarch in 2 tbsp of water

Steps:
1. Cut the Chicken in the joints and discard the small parts. (I kept them for the Sotanghon I am planning to make).
2. Wash the Chicken and mix them with the Soy Sauce (for added taste, I sprinked some Lemon Pepper powder). Let it stay for 10-20 minutes.
3. Steam the brocolli for 3-4 minutes then line them on the serving plate. (we don't have a steamer so I just used this metal plate with stand and place inside the caserole with water).
4. Deep fry the chicken then set aside. Since my hubby is so conscious of his oil intake, I drained the oil on the abura paper.
5. On a different pan, (or you can wash the pan where you fried the chicken), heat 2 tbsp of oil, saute the spring onion and the ginger until fragrant.
6. Put in the Chicken and the Oyster sauce mix, cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce is reduced to about 1/2 cup.
7. Put in the thickener, mix until the sauce thickens, then pour into the serving plate with the brocolli.

I really love to cook! especially now that we have bigger kitchen, affordable kitchen gadgets from the 100 yen shop and of course, someone to cook for. I am hoping that I can post more successful recipes here. Actually, cooking has become my stress reliever, today I couldn't make my JXTA MembershipService code to work, I was breaking my back(literally) for the whole day for nothing. It was such a relief being able to make a successful dish that I was craving for or else, I would have called today officially a bad day.

I am also itching to try my hands on baking, my mouth has been drooling for dessert recipes in the internet that is why I am so excited to use the new oven at Maila's house. I hope to post my first cake or brownie recipe here.

6 comments:

aneshka said...

Cooking is not and will never be my passion. Hate dyud nako siya, mura ko silutan kung magluto ko hehehe. kung baking pwede pa cguro.. try mo cheesecake ri! Phidelphia Cheese dapat gamiton or for first timers you can never go wrong with macaroons.

Ria May said...

bata pa ko naka try na ko ug macaroons, mao ra jud tawon akong na bake ever, kay pwede man sa toaster. besides.. rare ang dessicated coconut diri hehe..

gusto yung gaya sa mga chocolate moist brownies mo hehehe

lgeorgia said...

di ko ka-relate ninyo :(

Unknown said...

hey, am also studying baking pero bread lang sa.. naa ABC cooking school nganha sa kyushuu??

I recommend the school. It cost me about around 20,000yen++ for 6 classes. All ingredients are free and of course take home ang imong gihimo.
I wanted to try the cake, pero medyo mas mahal kay pang bakery gyud with all those icing ekek..

I have all the recipe but have no time to translate pa gyud..

lingaw , once you register you can also join other baking session nga wala apil sa imong course, usually its 500en lang

oppss.. grabe taas na..

naa pod diay ko nakuha nga tip about brocolli pero later na lang... :D

Ria May said...

Dili ko ganahan ug breads Del..cakes jud akong gusto! with all the icings ekek hehehe

yup nakakita ko anang ABC cooking school diri.. hmmm.. akong ingnan akong financer. Basin mag ingon na pud to ug "one hobby at a time lang please" kay mao iyang gitubag katong nagpapalit ko ug oven hehe.

Not bad ang 20k di ba.. makatuon pa ko ug nihongo!

Unknown said...

oh forgot to say nga naa diay sila trail lesson, no charge whatsoever.. actually mas barato daw ang set nila , cooking ( japanese, italian and etc ), bread baking and cake .. good for 2 years na nga class..

pero pwd ra sab usa ra ka lesson, which is good for 6 months..

bitaw try og inquire , naa man sila lesson for beginner to advance.. as in makasuya kaau ang mga cake, cute kaayo hehehe

oo as in ma praktis pag au imong nihongo gyud, plus all those baking techniques lang daan ..

i try ang tanan trial lesson before ka decide hehehe