Thursday, January 10, 2008

I Miss Cebu too...

While reading Mau's blog about Sinulog and the new happenings in Cebu, I felt a tinge of nostalgia and there is no more denying that I really miss that beautiful city where I lived for 4 years. How I left the place left some not so good memories and experience that there was a phase that I was so afraid of going back there and face the mess that I left off. But now, oh boy I really, really wanna go back there again and check out the place, and of course attend the much awaited Sinulog!

Aside from the non existent pollution and the urban but laid-back life, I love Cebu because that is where I first learned of independence. I stepped foot on that city for the first time 7 years ago with no idea on how to do the laundry, ironing, cooking, ride the jeep, budgeting or even cleaning my stuff for I was so used to having maids around me and parents and grandparents telling me what to do, where to go... I couldn't even speak Cebuano very well, I didn't have any plan of learning it coz I grew up with the notion that speaking in bisaya is baduy (well that was how it was in Davao or at least in my school). I was also overwhelmed with the freedom I had, for all my life I was always too sheltered and life was too routinary. But I was often found crying because I missed my dad, and my guy housemates would tell me their comforting words, "kelangan mo lang ng boyfriend.". And that was how the metamorphosis started (with a buffet of freedom plus the need for a boyfriend, you know what happens next) ;P.

Now, I can perfectly survive by myself and I can even feed another mouth with my cooking skill. I can speak Cebuano better than Tagalog, and very comfortable using the dialect (well if you want to survive and enjoy the city and its fabulous inhabitants, you gotta master the dialect or else mabaligya jud ka). The closest people in my heart are those fabulous ones I made friends there. Plus, I managed to go around with their very complicated Jeepney Route System by... learning to ride the taxi! Hence, I really can't say if I finally learned to budget.

But the most important things I learned from my stay there were the lessons on life and love, which would have been impossible to learn if I was just safely tucked in Davao. Cebu was my brewing pot where all the right decisions and mistakes I made that rooted from all that freedom are what built my character now.

When the Hongkong honeymoon Hubby and I planned didn't push through, I suggested that we go to Cebu instead, but he didn't want to and asked me, "hindi ka pa ba nagsawa sa Cebu?".

Well, I guess you'll never have enough of home.

No comments: