Friday, January 11, 2008

Prayers and Camera

We say our prayers and we are awed as we see them answered. And we become happy and thankful.

But last Wednesday, I saw how it was to be on the other side, to be the instrument in making a prayer happen. Thinking about it, made me all the more believe in prayers and all its amazing ways of making it happen if it's meant to be given to you.

A month ago, a friend jokingly asked me for a digital camera, kahit na daw yung mapulot ko lang sa basura dito. Apparently, people back home still believe that the streets of Japan are filled with trashed but still usable electronic goods. Well, maybe a long time ago, but not any more now because they already put up a rule against that and they had to pay the government or sell it to a recycle shop if they want to dispose it.

I know it was just a joke but I also know that she really need it for her band's gigs and her children's activities. As much as I would want to give her one, I just couldn't spend Y20,000(cheapest I could find) or more for a gift these days as my dad got sick and all.

Last payday, I asked hubby to withdraw money from my bank so I could start my christmas shopping and send money home. When he came back, I was surprised to find the amount in my passbook to have Y10,000 more than my expected amount. I didn't exactly know where it came from, maybe it's the interest I earned all those times that my account had been idle, since my husband provides for everything I need here, I rarely withdraw from my bank unless there is emergency back home. or realistically speaking, maybe I just forgot the exact amount of how much I have there.

Then I also received a call from a pinoy friend who told me that there was Canon Powershot 7 mega pixel digital camera on sale at Kitamura for only Y10,000. Anyways, I thought I have an extra Y10,000 and a cam right on the budget, so why not seriously buy one for my friend. I know it is still too much a cost for a single gift, but I'm really supportive of my friend's calling of spreading God's love through her music. And I couldn't thank her enough for all the prayers she said for me when I'm in trouble. I was so ready and excited to grab one of those dirt cheap cameras, but unfortunately, they were sold out already when I got there.

But, but, last Sunday when I had nothing to do while waiting for Hubby to finish his meeting with his Japanese clients, I found myself in one of the recycle shop here. There I found this super cute Fine Pix camera, old but still looks new. It is also way cheaper than the other one, this may be second hand but it is still in perfect condition. So I bought it right away and because it was New Year they had this raffle at the store where I won extra store credit which I used to buy myself a hello kitty hand bag!

As I excitedly told my friend I already bought her wish, I was touched to know that it was indeed included in her kids' prayers every night and it was an answered prayer for them. I know they need it as anybody does but I never thought that they seriously wanted one. No wonder, everything just happened smoothly until I found one that is perfect for them and for what I could only afford.

This may be a simple story, but it's a simple way of reassuring us that God indeed listens to our prayers. Especially now that it's the start of the year and many of us are already making plans, or even confused on how to plot their lives for this year. Some of our prayers might be answered, some may not. But if it is meant to be, it will happen.

Years back, I didn't understand my friend's decision of choosing her life now than all those tempting offers laid before her(she could have been in showbiz now), but that is where her heart is and where she believes she should be. She said she may not have a lot but she is sure that He will provide. The camera is just one simple thing and she had been through a lot more that will really prove that He indeed provides.

Each of us has a purpose and a path to take and we have goals we want to achieve, and we can also stumble upon challenges along the way, but if we just continue praying and believing, then we have nothing to worry about.

No comments: